Top 10 Sailors is an illustration-based personal project.
The main aim was to create a serie of portraits of some of the most representative sailors in the popular culture. The influences are mainly adventure and sailing novels, as:
- Herman Melville’s Moby Dick,
- R.L. Stevenson’s Treasure Island,
- H.P. Lovecraft’s The Shadow Over Innsmouth and The Call of Cthulhu,
- Edgar Allan Poe’s The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket,
- and Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
The portrait of Gráinne Ni Mhaille is the only one that is inpired by a non-fiction historical figure, but her legendary deeds and her myth were enough to make her feature in this list.
The typeface is created for this project too, and will be available as a Display Font in the future.